.

Sunday, March 5, 2006

Visit with my sister

I bet you all are dying to know how the visit with my sister went. I have to say that it went quite well.

First, I'll tell you about her. My sis stands all of 4'11". Her name is very unique and for fear of ridiculing her in the future and people she might know finding out I will call her "Little". I am sure I could have come up with a better nickname, but that one is so fitting.

She and her boyfriend arrived around 2:30 yesterday afternoon. We were supposed to drive down to Olympia and meet at mom's house, but mom had to work. So I talked her into driving up here. See how I worked my laziness in there? Anyway. We had a nice visit. She has actually darkened her hair (she is a natural blonde), she has gained a little weight (which she fully admits) and looks very good over all. She talked non-stop. This could be from nervousness or just her personality.

I can say that it was strange seeing her again. It has been so long. However, the visit was nice. They stayed for about an hour. We showed her the house and the movie D made of the boy. She is excited to be an aunt, but I am not quite sure she understands that whole aunt thing. After all she hasn't been here through the whole nightmarish process. I tried to explain it to her, but I am not sure if it all sunk in or not.

We had the opportunity to talk about some of our fond memories of growing up. (I'll let you in on some of those at a later date) Actually it was us telling Little's boyfriend about our mom. As I have noted in the past mom is a little neurotic. (oh don't seemed shocked woman! you know it's true) I am totally the way I am from my mother. I am not seeing this as so much of a bad thing anymore. D disagrees.

I am certainly not the same person I was when she left. Growing up will do that to a person. I am more reserved than my mom on this one. I will admit I am thrilled to have Little back in our lives. I have to get used to the fact that she is her though. My mom, Little and I struggled so much when we were younger. Our childhood could have been better. Little and I competed for just about everything in life. I am noticing that I am still doing that with her. I would like the ability to put that aside, but I am not sure if I am ready for that yet.

My main fear is of my mom getting hurt again. This probably stems from a trust issue. Little left 2 times in the past and it hurt my mom so bad. I don't ever want to see her go through that again. Mom and I have worked so hard over the past few years to have the relationship we have today. I treasure that relationship so much. Things are good now, my mom is so happy (especially since Little's return) I don't want that to be taken away from her.

I think at this point I am going to have to let go of my fears. I am going to have to trust that Little has grown up and that she has no ill intent. And Little, if you read this, I love you very much. I have missed you terribly. I am glad that you are back in our lives.

6 comments:

Lauri said...

Glad to hear it all went well...

Take care
Lauri

A Room to Grow said...

Being sisters can be tough. I hope that you guys continue to share your families and experiences with each other.

Anonymous said...

Wow! I'm glad Little is doing well! I remember many times of fun with her! Remember when she carved her name in the kitchen cabinets? ;) Or us trying on dresses for dances and she wanted so badly to come with us? Ah... those were the good times, when we (mostly) didn't care about foreign govenments, and all that seemed to matter was our upcoming Saturday plans. The life of a high school girl! So carefree! Welcome back, Little!

Maggie said...

Wow. I just caught up on the last two posts. Congratulations.

I have a brother who was kicked out/left our family when he was 18 or 19. It was devastating. We had to overcome that and overcome all the hurt he caused before he left. It took 3 or years but he came back to us. There was a lot of worry at first, but here we are years later (like 20 years later) and there is no more hurt about that time. He, my parents, and my siblings have all forgiven the past. I love my brother to pieces.

I don't know what your sister's circumstances were, but sometimes a few years apart can bring you closer together.

Jennefer said...

That is great that you guys hooked up. It sounds like you have a lot of memories together. It is great that she is here to share your adoption plans with.

Here is my 2 cent opinion- I think it is great that you don't begrudge her and you always welcome her back into your family with loving arms. If she always knows she is welcome she will always come back. That is just what I think.

Jennefer said...

Do you think I said the word "great" enough in my comment there?

Well, I hope you have a "great" day! Great? Great!