.

Monday, February 6, 2006

Elle vs. Football

I live in the NW. Yes, this is Seahawks country. I grew up with rabid Seahawks fans. My dad, my uncles. All Seahawks fans. I remember the days when they used to bitch and moan over the fact that the games weren't on TV, because they were blacked out (due to poor attendance.) I remember when Qwest field was being built, them complaining because you couldn't have alcohol at Husky Stadium. Of course none of us could afford to actually go to the games, but it was something to complain about. These men in my life have loved football. They are the epitome of the 12th man. Despite all of this rabble rousing in my life I have never developed a love for the Seahawks. I am the anti-football fan. I don't understand football. I don't get that a game that has a total playing time of 60 minutes could take 4 hours?! Give me a break!

So what is an anti-football girl like me supposed to do during the biggest game of the year? I asked myself that very question when we were invited down to the in-laws house for a Superbowl party. I packed up my book and my computer and we headed down.

During the first quarter I sat in the family room reading my beloved blogs and looking up other miscellaneous stuff on the internet. That is until I heard the cackling coming from the other room. My MIL and her friends have this laugh that is just hilarious! The funniest thing is it gets louder and louder the longer the evening goes on. These women are notorious for this. Of course the source of the laughter is coming from the commercials. I may hate football, but I do find Superbowl commercials a bit funny. Reluctantly I took my place among them to watch the big game.

You all should be proud of me... I actually watched a football game for 2 whole quarters! That is some kind of record. Yes, the commercials were hilarious. The officiating was terrible and I even saw the touchdown that wasn't, and the interception and 72 yard return! Aren't you impressed I know a little football lingo? Somewhere around the end of the 3rd quarter I lost interest. So back to my computer.

Kudos to the MIL for the food. She made brisket and Oma's potatoes. (Ask me for the recipe, they are to die for) She put on quite the spread and didn't ask anyone to bring anything!! I actually had a good time at a Superbowl party. Imagine that!

Now do you think anyone will come to my house for a Stanley Cup party if the Canucks make it?

5 comments:

A Room to Grow said...

I only watched the game for the commercials too... I thought the best was the young horse/Budweiser commercial. Oh, and the half time show with the Rolling Stones. I didn't think that they were such a big deal, but that's just me.

Elle said...

Worst 1/2 time show ever. I think the Rolling Stones died and no one told them.

Jennefer said...

My husband was a Sea Hawks fan as a kid (you know how kids pick teams they like, even though they have no connection to the team whatsoever). So, he was telling me that he was very excited to see they finally made it to the Super Bowl after all of these years. I am sorry they didn't win. I didn't watch it, but that is what someone told me. No, I didn't hear it from Mike. For the most part he thinks that talking sports with me is like throwing pearls before swine.

Maggie said...

I didn't watch the Superbowl at all. I could care less. In high school I was a cheerleader (don't laugh) and after watching us do the wrong cheers one too many times our coach made us take football lessons. They didn't stick... I still don't understand the game.

Rhonda said...

The Super Bowl was pretty lame this year. I did love the Budweiser commercial with the streaker that ran into the horse's football game. The Rolling Stones were ridiculous...I thought Keith Richards looked like he was about to croak onstage! It was disappointing.